12 January 2006

I can't believe what I'm seeing...

I'm watching TV, and at this time, there is this reality TV show on, and they're talking about sweet 16 parties that these girls are planning with their parents. It is the most ridiculous thing that I've seen I think. There is this one family out in California that is planning a party for their daughter, and not only did they just purchase her a brand new, we're talking straight off the showroom floor, 5 series BMW, but they're throwing her a $30,000 party. $30k! Unbelievable is the only way that I can term it. Thirty thousand dollars for a sweet 16 party. What happened to having a part with your close friends and mostly family at your house with a cake and a few presents? That's the way I seem to remember my parties when I was still living at home, or even when I was still in Maine, and those were kick ass parties. Hell, the biggest birthday party I've ever had I threw for myself. And it was still just myself, and about 10 friends or so, and once again, that was kick ass. $30k for a party? What the hell? I wonder how much this girl's wedding is going to cost her parents. Damn, if her 16th Birthday ran them $30k plus a new BMW, hmm. That wedding is going to be ridiculous methinks. Talk about spoiled, hell, $30k would be, I don't know, a couple of years at a state school for college. And this young woman, what does she do? She prepares a guest list, and then hands out this elaborate invitations to her "friends" at school in front of everyone else, meaning some of the people that didn't get an invitation, they genuinely looked really sad. I hate to use the word bitchy, but damn, that's what it was/is, and this young girl, damn spoiled. Yet another reason why I don't want to have kids. I would kill, absolutely destroy this girl. She would sit at home, and do nothing if I had a daughter and she acted like that. Death would become her. And holy shit, as I was just writing this, this girl said that her parents got her the best suite at the hotel where they were having the party, and it was $3000/night. Add that to the BMW and the party. Holy shit. That's it, it's official, things are out of control. There is no reason, and I mean no reason why someone should have a $30,000 birthday party. Really, is there? It's insanity. I'm amazed by this all, I've never seen anything like this before, or have heard about anything like this before. Is this some sort of debutante stuff that we don't get in Maine? I guess maybe we really are backwoods in Maine. Which doesn't seem to bother me so much after seeing this mess, well, then again, never bothered me before either. This just typifies for me the old adge that I like to trot out a lot, these people have a lot more money than sense. A LOT more money than sense. I mean, hell, if they have $30,000 to kick out for a sweet 16 party, can they lend a brother maybe just 1/3 of that? I mean, $10k would go a long way in my little world.

Yeah, I know, I'm a hater. What can I tell you?

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a softball glove for my 16th birthday. Best gift ever.

Your sister.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom

As bad as I think this situation is, I feel worse for whoever decides to marry this girl (when and if she marries)...

Happy new year, by the way!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger giantcu92 said...

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I think that what my sister said is probably true. I seem to remember getting cards with like $5 in them, and that was pretty cool.

I do feel bad already for the man that marries this woman, talk about HIGH maintenance...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home