27 December 2005

It's funny...

I've started a new entry today about, oh, 3 or 4 times thus far, and haven't gotten past the first sentence or 2. Now, I'm trying again. Don't know what to write about, as I'm sitting in Mexico Maine kicking back and doing, well, what Mexico is good for. Nothing. And actually I don't mind. Sure, it's not sexy and it's not exciting, but hey, I can kick back AND do nothing. I remember back when I was little, my Mom used to pack us up into the car to take us to Aroostook County for vacation. Aroostook County for those of you not in the know is the god forsaken Northern nether regions of Maine where you can literally spit on Canada and where everybody speaks French (they must be cheese eating surrender monkeys), but it's a good place to really do nothing. That's what my Mom would go there for on vacation. To do nothing and to visit old friends who had moved that way. That was a long ass trip for a young kid, about 5 hours or so from where we lived. I guess maybe that's where I get my tolerance for long road trips these days. Early years of driving through Maine to get to northern Maine to sit around for a week or so to do nothing. Oh well, looks like I'm repeating myself here as now I'm in Maine, and I'm doing nothing. And by nothing, I mean nothing. I've spent the last couple of days sitting around in my PJs and not eating a lot of food. Hey, it's Christmas. What else are you supposed to be doing? That's about it I guess.

Mexico Maine is a place that if you should ever visit it, it will only be on the way through town. It's not what we could a destination at any stretch. We have a US route going through the middle of town, but most people go around Mexico, because US Route 2 has a bypass that misses the town and just goes out of it. Same for our neighboring town Rumford. If you do drive through it, you literally might miss it if you blink too many times. Riding my bike I can go from where the town begins (like the main portion of town) to leaving town in about oh, 5 minutes. And that's by bike. Take it for what it's worth. It's small. It's nice. It's where my parents still reside, so here I am with I love the 80's on TV, and me typing this out on my lappy. There are of course redeeming values of Mexico. It's still pretty pristine really, and there are tons of hills surrounding the town, and plenty of forest, and lakes, ponds, and rivers. In the summer, super nice to be able to swim in the rivers and local fresh water ponds and lakes. Also, if there was more racing around here, it would be an almost ideal place to train in the summer. Why? The weather is good. Not too hot, not too cold. The terrain around here, hilly as a mo-fo. Lung busting climbs all over the place, and lots and lots of empty roads, because hey. It's Maine, there's just not a whole lot of people around here to begin with. The downside is that the roads get beat up during the winter, so it's not the smoothest riding surface around, but did I mention they're empty? I keep trying to get friends of mine to come up here in the summer with me, and they don't want to come. This I don't understand. We could have a great base to train from, with home cooking in the morning, and when we get back, plus local waterways to swim and relax in post ride, it would be awesome. The downside, is that normally when it's really good to ride around here it is right in the middle of race season, and normally, people don't want to miss races to come to Maine to eat, ride, eat, sleep, and ride some more. I'm not sure why, but I hope to get a few folks to come on up here at some point in time, and they can see what I'm talking about. The best part about Maine. Shoulders. As in, the roads have shoulders so that you can ride 2 or 3 abreast, and it's not an issue for the traffic flowing by. Why? Shoulders. Simple as that. North Carolina doesn't have shoulders on their roads for the most part. I mean, none. In the winter though, not much going on around here as far as riding. Of course there is skiing, snowmobiling, hockey, and just about any other wintertime activities that you can think of. Doesn't do much for the riding though as the roads are covered with ice, snow, and other maladies that make riding road bikes outside a little on the hazardous side during the winter.

I'm heading back South in a few days though, which will be good. I'll get to hang out with the SO finally after not seeing her for about 10 days. That's too long I would have to believe, but it's the holiday season. This happened last year after we had first started dating, but that was last year, when we first started dating. Now, I'm just waiting to head back South. Of course I have many plans and many things to do when I get back. The 30th when I get back will be The Chad's Birthday celebration at Leblon in Greensboro. The 31st will be Jenn and Josh's New Year's Eve gathering at their hiz-house. The 1st, well, don't know what I'll be doing then. Probably riding my bike for a change, and then, I go back to work. Back to work on the 2nd. I'm already not looking forward to that. It'll be busy, busy, and more busy when I get back. But I'll be complaining about that later, for now, I'm not there, so it's OK. I'm wondering what the New Year there is going to hold. I'm hoping to NOT work 60 hours per week when I get back. That would suck indeed, as I need to start training for bike racing again, and well, just for general health and all. I might have to postpone the start of race season for myself until April or so. That might be the best bet, as I won't be ready by the end of February and or the start of March. Might just be at the start of April. We'll see what shakes loose in that time period. If work continues the way that it has gone this past year, I might not be racing at all come the 2006 season.

I am just hoping that my trip home later on this week is not as prolonged as it was getting here. If it is, yeah, I'm going to smash my head into a wall somewhere in the Portland Airport no doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home