09 July 2006

Disappointment...

This evening, the fiance and I went to see Nacho Libre, which we both had great hopes for. We both love some Jack Black, and thing that he is one hilarious human being, but let me just say this. If you haven't gone to see this movie yet, and are thinking about it, don't. Just don't do it. It will be the worst money you've ever spent I think, I know it was for us.

Unfortunately, everything about this movie is weak. The script, weak. The acting, weak. The wrestling, weak. The damn kids who play the orphans, weak. The plot, weak. This movie could have easily been a 25 minute TV show without any problems. The thing with that, is that it would have been good for only one episode, and then it would have been cancelled no doubt. They kind of tried to keep using the same jokes, over and over again, when they weren't really funny the first time they showed up on the screen. This movie was a lot about Jack Black prancing around, and making fart noises, and or poop jokes. Sure, I like a good fart and poop joke as much as the next guy, but these weren't even done that well. And sad to say, they weren't that funny. I'm not even sure what the entire movie was about really, there was no good ending to it, there was no good start to it, hell, there wasn't even a good middle part. Overall, 2 thumbs, and 2 big toes down on this one. Disappointment reigns in the house this evening after seeing this disappointing Jack Black venture. I mean, his premier in High Fidelity was top notch. Saving Silverman, funny as hell. This, I give it the huge assed raspberry for sure. Just awful. I am thinking that this little movie was a pet project of his, and he used his fame to get it made. I guess everyone has to have a stinker once in awhile, and I hope he can recover from this one, although I think it has taken in a decent amount of money and all. Maybe it is because I haven't read too many reviews of it around, maybe people are tricked into thinking it IS going to be funny, only to pay their money, and be let down like I was. I have to say, for maybe only the 2nd or 3rd time in my movie going career, I felt like getting up, walking out, and going home, that's how bad it was. And I've seen a lot of bad movies in my time I'll remind you.

On the bright side for the movie goers this weekend though, I did see a report that the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie that came out this weekend went gangbusters. Meaning, they racked up over 132 million over 3 days, which gives them the record for best 3 day opening weekend, ever. They squashed Spiderman from 2002 easily, making something like 20 million more than that movie did. Also, in the report I read, they said that the 132 million that Pirates took in was 4 times what the original movie made in its opening weekend. Damn, Johnny Depp knows a good thing when he sees it. He's now an actual player in big time movies. Orlando Bloom already was, and Keira Knightly, she didn't do too badly either in the past. I'm actually looking forward to checking it out, I dug the first movie, and I have to believe, reading some reviews, that the second and third movie will be much the same as the first, so I don't think anyone really loses out on this one. Good stuff all around.

1 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pirates2 was good - special effects fun, laugh out loud funny a couple times, but it was about 30 minutes too long. And WTF? No Keith Richards??
The sea-beastie eating ships was some damn good CGI. Made it worth seeing on the big screen.
It's enjoyable, but not enough to see it multiple times in the theater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home