25 November 2005

Something doesn't seem right...

I know what it is, I'm in Florida for Thanksgiving, and it's not cold out. For years on end, even when living in NC, I've found that pretty much every year it has been at least chilly on Thanksgiving, and back home in Maine they are suffering through one of the first 'noreasters of the winter season, and yet, here I am in Tampa, where the sun is out, and shorts are on, and the temps are supposed to be in the 80's today. I might be able to get used to this stuff, at least in the winter when it's warm around here, and well, cold everywhere else. It's not so bad really. But it just seems weird to me, since as I said before, it's not something that I've experienced before. Take for instance, last evening, we were sitting outside after the sun had gone down, in shorts and t-shirts, as the kids next door were swimming in their pool. Yes, I said swimming. A wonderful and weird place it is. Swimming, outdoors, on Thanksgiving. Kinda cool.

I was asked to come on down to the SO's hometown of Tampa for Thanksgiving, and of course, I accepted. Good to go on a little old road trip for the holiday weekend, with, well, approximately everybody else on the East coast. The drive, long. The payoff, rewarding though. Had a great, make that, super great meal last night with turkey, ham, and tons of other delicious-ness yesterday afternoon, and stuffed myself silly of course, because that's what you do on Thanksgiving isn't it? Continued on past the main courses, and headed into dessert, which included some pumpkin pie of course, a little key lime pie, and possibly my all time favorite, pecan pie. Since we ate sort of early, there was plenty of time for an evening snack before heading to bed, and or watching TV into the night. Charlie Brown Thanksgiving was on, followed by Finding Nemo, and the SO's Dad just got a freakin' really nice new TV, and the picture, superb I must say, so it was easy to sit and bask in the warm glow of the big TV. Very easy. Football was watched of course, and I saw the Lions get trounced on their home field, which has been happening to them for years on end methinks. Never did finish watching the Denver / Dallas game last night, it was tied when I decided to take a break and go outside with everyone else. And I was kind of bored watching it as well. It was a good game, but not exciting. It has been a pretty standard Thanksgiving, good stuff all around.

The parents and the rest of my family are having Thanksgiving this Saturday, which is not standard. Joel and Melissa I believe are having everyone over to their new house, and cooking the food, and feeding the masses. Saturday, not the standard turkey eating day, but it seems to work for them for this year. More power to them I suppose. I get to be in their wedding as well next summer, which will undoubtedly be a good time for all. I have quite the wedding line-up to contend with over the next year or so. Many, many of my peeps are getting hitched, so there will be lots of traveling, lots of gift buying, and lots of tux rentals, and so on and so forth. Phew, could get pricey on down the line, but hell, it's a wedding, it's all good.

Now it's time to head out and see what there is to see around Tampa this afternoon. Should be some good stuff out there. As mentioned previously, 80 degrees and sunny. Not so bad, not so bad at all on the 25th of November.

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. Here we had 18 and 5 with the windchill.

Thanksgiving with the SO parents... sounds like you are pretty serious! :)

happy thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home