04 September 2005

Make that 2...

Alright folks, make that 2 Supreme Court justices that Bush gets to nominate now. Rehnquist has died. I'm not so sure what this means right now, because it could really change the face of the nation for years to come if Bush can pack the court with highly conservative judges, which is almost sure to happen. He has Roberts already, and now he can replace Rehnquist. I'm not sure what to think of this, except for, we're probably screwed.

The SO and I were discussing how many changes have taken place in our country, and in the world in general over the last 5-10 years, and it looks like this trend is going to continue with the appointments that are coming from the Bush administration. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Bush is going to get the nominees on the court that he wants. He has a Republican Congress, and there is very little to stand in his way of placing who he wants on the bench. The Dems if we want to block someone, we're going to have to filibuster, which might make the Republicans pull out the famed "nuclear option" to remove the possibility of a filibuster, and to place whatever nominee it might be onto the floor of the Senate for a vote. This is going to get ugly my friends, very very ugly. I don't know what to do about it, and there is probably very little that I CAN do about it. I'll have to write my Senators, but that is going to do very little since both of my Senators are Bush "yes" people and they just step in line with the others, and vote "how" the Republicans are supposed to. Bush nominations could change the face of law in this country for 30 or more years. Things that we've had in place for a long time now could be taken back, freedoms we've been given, and rights that we've gained, they could be swept away in a short amount of time depending on who gets on the court, and when. I'm kind of scared about this. OK, not kind of scared, but really scared.

What's even stranger though is that with the Chief Justice now gone, the news cycle has changed from hurricane Katrina to the death of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Yes, it's important that he's now gone, and there is a battle to come for sure about who is going to replace him, but the folks suffering down in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, that's the real story I'm sure. We need to move coverage back to this as soon as possible. Which I'm sure that it will, I'm hoping that it will. What is going on in the deep South is the most important thing going on in America today.

I read something on a newsboard that I post on from a guy who is in the military, and he has said that the reason we couldn't respond to the disaster in a timely manner is that Rumsfeld has basically taken the military down from what it used to be and outsourced just about everything he could think of to private companies. He's taken away our ability to transport within the military itself, and placed it into the hands of his cronies like Halliburton and others who stand to make a significant profit from their friends being in power. I even read a news item this morning that said as much, that Halliburton has been sub-contracted out to help with hurricane relief. When will the corruption end? What is with these no bid contracts going to these contractors? I don't get it. I don't get it at all.

This is labor day weekend. A long weekend. Thank God. I think myself, and pretty much everyone else that I work with need this long weekend so that we can unwind, and relax for an extra day. Things have been at the highest stress levels that I've seen at the joint in a long time. Plants are closing down, we're taking in their business, we're starting new programs in a short amount of time, and things are rolling incredibly fast, and we're going to get caught underneath it unfortunately. We have too many things to do, and not enough time or people or resources to do them unfortunately. We're going to get screwed on some of the things that we're bringing in for certain, just because we're starting late, and we're starting way behind. I would love to have a different job right now, and bail out. I might just have to look around a bit this afternoon while I'm sitting here watching TV, and not doing much of anything else. Wireless internet. Isn't it the best???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home