12 September 2005

I sometimes hate my co-workers... Well, just one actually...

I hate tattletales. I say this, because I’m no longer in kindergarten. Didn’t anyone’s parents teach them that it’s not nice to “tell on people” or to “tattle”? I mean, damn, it was one of the best episodes of the Brady Bunch when Cindy learned her lesson about tattling from Mike and Carol. It does seem though, that we might have a problem with this at the place I work at. There is one guy in particular who seems very good at it. His name will be withheld to save the guilty from further incrimination.

Essentially, here is what happens. This person is responsible for doing something. He consequently, hardly ever does what he is supposed to be doing. Nobody is actually really sure what he’s doing on a daily basis, and there are some days when nobody can find him at all. Is he at the Alamance plant? We don’t know. Is he at the Columbia plant? We don’t know. Is he at the Roxboro plant? We don’t know. Is he at the Durham office? We don’t know. There are days, and I do mean DAYS where he’ll disappear, and nobody can find this guy. Calls to his cell phone go unanswered. Calls to his office voicemail go unanswered and unreturned, but then, he’ll just pop back up. Sort of like that bad penny that nobody wants to have in their pocket. Now when this person doesn’t complete the job he is supposed to be doing, we like to call him out on this. Which in turn makes him really defensive and snippy. For instance, last week he was supposed to write up this paperwork for me. I of course asked him for it. He told me in no uncertain terms that A. It wasn’t his job to be writing up the paperwork I needed (it actually IS part of his job) and B. He didn’t have the time to do this writing up of paperwork anyway. In a checksheet that I have created for the items I need and for the people assigned to them, I wrote in the “notes” section of the list (where I describe either what the hold up is, or if the tasks have been completed) that, “Packaging engineer stated he did not have time to complete the packaging standard required, so QE will complete the paperwork). This of course did not sit well with him, because the other 10 people on the list can now see what a slack bastard this guy is. He of course predictably calls me, and categorically denies that he said he didn’t have time to complete the paperwork required. I know better. So not only is he a slacker, but he’s also a liar. I talk to my boss in a pre-emptive move, and tell her that this guy will probably be calling her. Sure enough, a short while later, an e-mail comes through to my boss, copied to me, from him talking about how there were mistruths on my checksheet (that nobody of consequence saw) and that I was being unprofessional in my actions, and blah, blah, blah… Essentially, him trying to cover his ass because as everyone around here knows he doesn’t do jack shit. It’s not uncommon knowledge, but he’s allowed to get away with a lot of shit, and nobody seems to care. What can I do about it? He also tattled on another co-worker of mine because she talked to him in a semi-raised and “gruff” voice as it was stated. And by tattle, I mean, he turned her into HR, and this other co-worker of mine had to go and sit with someone from the HR department and be lectured to that if she needed to talk to him again, they should do it behind closed doors, lest someone else hear that he’s not been doing his job again. So in an effort to keep this individual honest, anytime I have a problem with him, or need him to do something, I will be copying his boss on any e-mail that I have to go back and forth with him on, that way, there is some oversight as to what his activities are, and how he does them, and or IF he does them (which is the biggest question really). I’m sure he’ll have a problem with this, but I’m at the end of the caring line of things. Funny thing is, is that he’s sitting behind me right now doing something, when he’s actually supposed to be in our Columbia facility. See what I mean?

This is the lowest common denominator of person that I know. One who can’t handle his own business, but yet has to try and blame everyone else for his failings at work. I’ve also noticed that the people who talk the most during meetings when you ask them a simple yes or no question, are the people who are not doing what they are supposed to be doing, and have to try and explain a yes or no answer. This guy does this. For example, “Mr. X. Did you finish the Ford required paperwork for the packaging.” Mr. X responds, “Not yet, but it’s because the Ford packaging engineer hasn’t given me the specifications that are required for the packaging and even if he did give them to me, I wouldn’t have been able to do it because I need this, that, yadda, yadda, yadda…” When an answer to a question becomes a long soliloquy as to why you can’t actually answer the question, well, you’re shit out of luck there, because the asshole answering said question doesn’t know his asshole from a hole in the ground. I also hate it that someone calls you “unprofessional” when he in fact does the same stuff. Meaning, if you have an issue with me that you don’t think you can resolve with me, then yes, by all means, contact my boss if it is impacting your job performance. I would expect it then. But if I do something that has no impact, and you just have an issue with it, take it up with me, no need to get “bosses” involved if they don’t need to be. If we can’t resolve our issues, take it up a level. Until that time though, let’s just leave it between us. I can’t stand it when people talk shit about you to your boss when they don’t need to. I always make efforts to keep someone’s boss out of it. I don’t copy people’s bosses on stuff between 2 people who are the same level. What the Hell??

Bottom line, this guy sucks. The co-worked of mine that got hauled into HR purgatory last week because of him, is probably one of the nicest, most Christian woman that I know. She doesn’t hate anyone, or dislike anyone. Except for this guy. Her direct quote is, “I know everytime he opens his mouth and or starts smiling that he’s about the start lying again.” That says it all. A man who has an excuse for everything. He’s doomed. I’m out to get him now. Even indirectly. I’ll make his life a living hell at work if I can, and I will. I can find a way. OK, maybe I won’t, but his boss will know every little mis-step that he makes from now on though.

2 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope HR can't read your blogs!!! be careful!!!

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! ... I know people like that and you just wish you could choke the bejeezus out of them... careful with your co-workers reading tho. I know of people that have gotten fired because of dishing out crap about their jobs (or people at their jobs (even if they were bad ones like your tattler))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home