12 August 2005

Party time and molester mustaches...

I really do think that it’s party time for the house. I’ve yet to hold a party this year, and it’s far past time to do so. In the past, I would have had about 3 or 4 by now. It’s time to send out the invites, and see what kind of riff raff I can get to come on out to this party at the house. Normally, it’s a pretty sedate crowd, but it should be fun as always. I’ll get the bike people, the SO will get the library people, and so on and so forth. It should be an interesting mingle of people I think. So interesting that the night could get wild and crazy, I’m pretty sure of that. Needless to say, there will probably be fire, and beer, and did I mention fire?? Yeah, for some reason when people get wasted, they feel the need to burn things. Wood, tires, cars… Hopefully nobody brings fireworks again, because that could just be disastrous right there. Last time I was shooting off fireworks from the front porch (of course; why do these things incognito??) a car stopped in front of the house. The car looked like whomever was in it was checking out what was going on. Of course, it was a cop. Luckily, said cop just drove on by, never said anything, didn’t even speak over the loudspeaker. I’m trying to avoid any legal intervention for this party. So far, we’ve been pretty lucky with that, no cops. The neighbors must not mind too too much, or else I would have been taken down a long time ago. Then again, back in the day, the house that I live in now was super duper party central. It was more like a renegade bar than a house. Things have calmed waaayyyy down since Doug moved into that joint, but back in the Dave, Scott, Scott days, there was some trouble. I think I heard a story once that they had so many people at their legendary Christmas party one year that the house was chock full o’ people, and so was the yard. So massive it was, that they went through 20 some odd kegs during the course of the night, and so massive had the party become that they had printed t-shirts and matchbooks to either sell or give out to people. Now that my friends, is a party. I would only HOPE to have a party that big, at least once. In a couple of weeks though, it will be party time again. Save the date on your calendars, it’s going to be the 27th of August my friends. Should be a good time I hope. Loud music, lots of booze, and tons of people. Good times. Good times indeed.

What I’m really excited about today (yeah, it’s a slow day) is that I can go to Best Buy this evening and get Kung Fu Hustle on DVD. I’ve been waiting for this one to come out. I will hold my praise for this flick until after I see it this weekend. Have I mentioned before that you should go and see Wedding Crashers? OK, maybe I have, but damn it, go and see it fer christ’s sake if you haven’t already. I can’t recommend this movie highly enough. Kung Fu Hustle though, another Chinese Kung Fu movie indeed. Something else I’ve been stuck on lately. Been digging these kinds of movies for years now, but my appreciation for all things Kung Fu has grown over the past few years, and this is due mostly to American audiences finding out that these movies are kick ass. When more people think this, more movies come to us from across the way, and we get the higher quality stuff. This ain’t no Saturday afternoon badly dubbed Kung Fu movie that you would have seen on some local cable channel when you were young, no these are highly refined Kung Fu movies, still badly dubbed in some cases, but they are good shit.

I had yet another run in with someone this afternoon who wanted to be in my space. This is getting to be a serious issue. At the good old Golden Corral this afternoon for lunch, there was a couple behind me in line. I was standing at the cash register, paying for my meal, when this woman is invading my space not only with her person, but with her tray. Look lady, when you creep up on me like that, it makes me want to smack you away from me. And she even had her tray in my space. What the hell is that all about?? I didn’t say anything this time, because she was old, and wouldn’t have taken the scolding very well I’m sure of it. But damn, get the hell away from me. I don’t need someone standing in my space when I’m just trying to get some food damn it. It’s not like if you get closer to me you’re going to get through the line faster or something. Damn it people. Like someone once said, I love social gatherings but I hate people. Getting into my space is damn worse than not using your turn signal when you’re driving, and that just drives me up and down the wall, not just up it, but back down as well. They put those little flashers on there for a reason, use them.

It’s kind of funny now how time passes without even realizing it. I was thinking about it the other day and I graduated college, not high school, but college 10 years ago, and right now I’m looking down the barrel of a 15 year high school reunion next year. Damn, I’m getting old as evidenced by my gray hair and stopped demeanor. 1991, it was a good year indeed to graduate from high school. Vanilla Ice was racing up the charts, or actually back down by the time graduation came around, Great White was still rocking out with Once Bitten Twice Shy, and Bon Jovi was still kind of kick ass (well, at least to some people). The first Gulf War was over, and we didn’t feel threatened like we were going to get drafted to go to war, even though we thought that we probably would earlier on in the year. The guys I was in high school with, we were gung ho to go as well when it came to pushing out Iraq from Kuwait, we saw that as a noble cause back then. Man, times change. I had one classmate who was completely against Gulf War I, but he was the exception and not the rule. Everyone else was talking about lacing up the boots and getting the job done if need be. Glad we didn’t have to do that. Very glad. 1991 was also the year of the molester mustache (at least at Mountain Valley High School). We were lame back then. I’m glad high school was only 4 years long. To be any longer, I think we would have killed one another really. It’s amazing when I go back home, and see some of the folks that never really left town, they’re still doing the same things they did when we were IN high school, except now they’re 32 years old. They never left town, and not that it’s a bad place to live, but at least get some more experiences out there. See other places. You don’t know what it’s like to live somewhere else, unless you, well, live somewhere else. It’s kind of sad when I hear that these guys are still heading off to the home football games wearing their old jerseys from high school, and getting wasted before the games, and then drinking with the high school kids after the games. Not surprisingly enough, the same guys who did that with us when we were in high school, are still doing it now, it’s just that they’ve been joined by others now. Anyway, yeah, 15 years. How things change, yet sometimes remain the same really.

Almost time to pack it up for the weekend and get outta here like a bald guy. Get it? Some do, some don’t.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when you were in HS, did you think you would stay in town? Or did you know you would be the guy who left?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home