11 August 2005

Israel and links...

Yes! I’m psyched! Why one might ask? Well, first of all, this is the first time in recent memory, going back to last Friday, that I’ve awoken in the morning without a screaming headache. Yes, the first time since last Friday. I just chalk up the rash of bad headaches to not sleeping, and not getting proper rest, and running ragged back and forth to New Hampshire, Maine, and all points in between of course. The other reason I’m psyched? Well, it’s Thursday. And Thursday means that it’s cone of meat day at the local deli. Yes, cone of meat day. See previous entry about the cone of meat, and all will be understood of course. Believe me you, there is some magical about the way lamb, tomatoes, feta, and lettuce all come together on a pita, and then you drench that shit in taziki sauce, you ain’t never had anything that good in your life. It might make you want to slap your momma (as some in the South would say). Every Thursday, this is what I look forward to when I come to work. Eating lunch, and getting a cone of meat. Sad that my life has been pared down to really simple pleasures when it comes to work. You’d think I’d get a sense of fufillment coming to work, doing the job, and doing it pretty decently I might add, but no, I just dread getting out of bed every morning to drive to Roxboro to work again. And it’s really not the job that I dread, but the drive. 45 minutes that makes me want to poke my eyes out with spoons.

This past weekend my sister Kerri took off from her new home in Malmo Sweden to travel to, of all places, Israel. She’s gone off to cover the Israeli settlement pull outs, and to take pictures and document that activity with a writer so that they can jointly come up with a story about this important thing taking place. I guess if someone wanted to stand on the side of the road as history rolls by, this would be one not to miss, so she’s there. Snapping photos, with an extremely long range lens I hope, and staying away and above the fray that is sure to come as some Israeli settlers have claimed that they will fight the troops that are being sent in to evict them from the land. It could get messy. Instead of Israelis fighting the Palestinians, and the Palestinians fighting the Israelis, it’s going to be a mini civil war I think. Infighting between just the Israelis, and it could get bad. I’m hoping that no, it doesn’t, but it could. Kerri has left her contact information with myself and brother Joel “just in case” something goes wrong. I’m just crossing my fingers, and wishing that she stayed in Sweden instead, where it’s nice and safe, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that they hate Scandinavian countries, or people from Scandinavian countries, so in the future, she should just stay there instead. But, oh well, if there is someone out there that has marched to the proverbial beat of her own drummer it would be my sister. I’m sure that in this case, the more we would have said not to go, the more determined she would have been to go. So, she’s there. Good luck.

Here are a smattering my favorite internet links:
www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/home.html
www.dirtycycling.com
www.eriksaunders.com
www.cyclingnews.com
www.realultimatepower.net
www.sfdt.com
www.homestarrunner.com
www.queryletters.blogspot.com/
www.tshirthell.com
www.cyclesdeoro.com
www.giant-bicycles.com
www.roadbikereview.com (read the discussion sections only – it’s infuriating but I can’t stop)
http://www.happyrobot.net/words/robot_journal.asp?r=3213
www.happyrobot.com/photofun/default.asp?showyear=2000&id=216&LastId=&subcat_id=&LastDate=

That’s about all I can think of for right now.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, don't worry. i feel pretty safe here...safer than a night out in richmond, virginia. the only tangible evidence of the occupation i have seen thus far is in hebron in the west bank where the jewish settlers and the arabs are living side by side and the snipers are pointing their guns downward and i am looking up. we asked the soldiers if they would take us for a ride in their armored vehicle but they politely refused and told us to keep an eye out for the terrorists...which is actually kind of funny because the soldiers are the ones i am scared of, not the arabs. the arabs are very kind people and don't walk around with uzis. plus the soldiers look like they are around 18 years old at the most. they are cute though.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moofpiepoof/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home