10 August 2005

Does anyone sense a recurring theme here???

Another night of lost sleep for the most part. This time, it wasn’t insomnia, but rather loud events that conspired to keep me awake. I swear, it’s a fucking conspiracy against me to NOT get any sleep any time soon. This past weekend, with the traveling, and the wedding, and more traveling, not a lot of sleep was garnered for me. Early morning travel times of course. Then, Monday evening, well, too much West Wing is actually NOT good for you. I think I’ll just buy the season DVDs, and then I can skip the West Wing marathon, and watch them at my own pace. Then last night, Tuesday night, oh damn, it was kind of horrible.

Here I am, worn slap out (as they say in the South), and wanting to crawl into bed early, and sleep, sleep deep sleep. I worm my way between the covers at about 8:30 and crack open a book to read for a short while before falling off to sleep. This strategy works very well, as I’m out by about 9 or so, drooling on my pillow and dreaming of, well, nothing that I remember, but I’m sure I was dreaming of something. I’m awoken a short time later to the sound of empty beer bottles being tossed into the recycling bin at my house. Doug is home, has had a few beers, and is getting rid of the empties. This isn’t normally a loud sound, but at night, when you’ve been sleeping for about an hour or so, and you are kind of a light sleeper to begin with, well, it wakes you up with a shock. Now, I’m awake again. It takes me about 15 minutes or so to relax and get back to sleep, at which time, I’m awoken again to the sounds of loud microwave cooking. When I say loud microwave cooking, my roommate has a bad habit of slamming everything shut, which once again, normally isn’t a problem, but when you’ve been sleeping, and are just getting back to sleep, it wakes me up with a start again. Time check, 10PM. I fall back asleep, for the 3rd time this evening, and am sleeping comfortably until about 11, at which time my roommates girlfriend calls the home phone. Once again, being a light sleeper, I kind of sit bolt upright in bed, and awake to the shrill ring of the telephone. The ringer, in my opinion, is almost as bad as the alarm clock. Almost. It does rank a very close second place. I doze back off again, for the 4th time this evening. 20 minutes later, approximately 11:20-11:25, the phone rings, again! How many times have I asked her not to call the house after 11?? Oh, I don’t know, about a million. The worst thing is, is that Doug is not there to answer the phone, so it keeps ringing, and ringing, and ringing, until I’m wide awake, again. I fall asleep, again (5th attempt at getting to sleep), and again, am awoken by loud microwave noises from the kitchen. Slamming of doors, cooking of popcorn, and more bottles getting tossed into the recycling bins. It is now past midnight, and I went to bed and fell asleep, for the first time, at around 9. Now I’ve got about an hour of good sleep, and the rest of the evening, I’ve been awoken time and again by something or someone, and by the time I get to sleep for the 6th time this horrible evening, it is now almost 1 in the morning. Wake up time was supposed to be 5. Better push that alarm clock ahead to 6:30 instead. So now, I get about 5 hours of sleep for the night, and not what we would call “quality” sleep. My nerves are frayed, I awake puffy and burning eyed, and am tired just getting out of bed. It’s going to be another one of those days. The drive to work of course serves to infuriate me further. It might be time to start looking for work closer to the house possibly. Or at least make some excursions onto the internet at home, and see what might or might not be out there for me in a closer vicinity to where I live.

One might think, well, with all of these distractions in your house, why don’t you bolt over to the SO’s house. Well, most of the time, it’s not much better over there because of her upstairs neighbors, who have a certain penchant for walking heavy, and not being active at all until well after midnight. At which time there is much laughter, lots of walking around, and lots of playing ball in the house with the 80 pound dog. Once again, this all adds up to Tommy not sleeping so well, or ever seeming to get restful sleep at all. It’s driving me outta my gourd. Maybe I need to find like a nightshift job, because at least during the day, the house would be empty, and there would be no sound, and I could sleep very well indeed. You just don’t find nightshift jobs though in my particular line of work of course. Oh well. The sleepless streak continues. I’m so far in sleep debt right now, that if I slept straight through the next few days, I still wouldn’t be caught up I don’t think. Ah hell, why worry now?

1 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambien, here you come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home