31 January 2007

Look, it's simple...

If you happen to be out driving on a back road of Durham, NC, and you see a tiny light coming towards you in the opposite lane, do not, I repeat, do not hit the high beams.

Why you might ask? Well, let me let you in on a little secret. That small little light coming towards you, is me. Riding my bike. At night. When you shine your high beams, it hits me directly in the pupil, and I can't see. Seeing, is important when you're riding a bike at night, because you can't see that far down the road at night (obviously), and if I can't see, I might fall down, and tear off some skin, or maybe concuss myself. These are things that I don't want to happen to me.

So for the love of all that is holy, stop hitting me with the high beams. If I had something heavy to throw at you, I would. I'm just a guy, trying to get a training ride in after work, in the middle of winter. Give me a break will you?

One last thing, stop honking your horn at me. I can see the lights approaching behind me, you don't need to lay on the horn to let me know that you're there. This goes for the daylight hours as well. It scares the crap out of us when we're riding, and we're more apt to swerve into the lane of travel when startled, so knock it off. I mean, a quick little staccato "beep beep" when you're way behind us, is OK, it's a warning beep. But creeping up right behind us, and LAYING on the horn, you're likely to get an ass kicking for doing something like that, so stop it.

OK, one more thing. We all don't think we're "Lance" so stop shouting that at us out the window, and stop yelling to "GET OUTTA THE ROAD!" because contrary to what you might think, we paid for the road too. Just because we're riding our bikes at the moment that you see us, doesn't mean we don't own a car, or 2 (probably everyone I know that rides also has a car), and guess what? We pay insurance, gas taxes, vehicle taxes, and highway use taxes just like you little morons that yell at us that we don't deserve or pay for the road. Guess what Gus? We pay.

That's it for now. Seriously. That's all I've got.

Except for this evening, forecast is for "wintry mix" tomorrow. Which means, the whole State is going crazy in NC. Buying bread, milk, and eggs at the grocery store, and canceling everything in sight (even before stuff starts to fall from the sky). Now, I've been living here for almost 8 years now, and I've seen this all before, but it still never ceases to surprise me how insane people get when frozen precipitation comes down. I'll go to work tomorrow, just like always, except I'll be one of only about 20 people there. I almost guarantee it. Ah well, that's just how it goes.

OK, now that's all that I've got for now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger My Two Cents said...

What A-holes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home