27 August 2006

Work update...

So it has been a short while now since I've had a work update. Let's just say, the last week or so, has sucked incredibly bad. Why? Well, throw in a couple of 60 hour weeks, a few nights hanging around work until 11PM or so, calls in the middle of the night from said workplace, and indeed, things have been sucking.

This last week we had a customer issue, which immediately put me into response and fire fighting mode, for the last week and a half. Since this firefighting has taken up a large portion of my time, no, make that, all of my time, I haven't had time to do or to take care of anything else that needs taking care of at work. This of course puts me into a precarious situation when it comes time for, Monday morning. That being tomorrow. That being, well, I still have this one issue going on, plus a few more piled up in behind that one that I haven't tended to, and I can't try and pass them off to someone else, because there is really nobody else to pass them off to. Meaning, my department, still 2 people short, and it's not looking very good for replacements getting in there anytime in the next month or 2. Sure, we have some replacements on tap, and some that have interviewed and or are in the pipeline, but no relief really. So right now, I'm really trying to do the job of 3 people, and it ain't happening. I'm barely staying afloat, and that is already working long hours for the past, ah, what is it now? A year? Yeah, something like that.

Anyway, if you are looking for a new job and a company in Roxboro, NC calls you, and wants to interview you, please check with me first, and I'll let you know if it is my company or not, because right now, it is black hole style going on there. As in, you can't make it out. Nothing escapes the gravitational pull of my workplace. And here is the shitty thing about it. I have been working my ass off, honestly and truly working my ass off. My boss understands what is going on, and that's all good, and a few other people realize what I've been doing, or trying to do, and that's good as well, but there is one manager there who keeps making little snide comments to me about how I'm slacking off. Now, I don't know if he's joking around or not, but I've heard tale told about him saying this to various other people, on the floor, around the plant about my work ethic, and seriously, honestly, and truly, it kind of pisses me off. Because as mentioned before, been working lots, with little reward for it. Sure, I get paid, but if I was getting overtime in addition to the regular salary I'm getting now, I'm pretty sure that I'd be pulling 6 figures this year fairly easily. And really, this is no exaggeration when I say this. But those would be a very hard 6 figures. Meaning, I'd have a life sort of like I have now. No time for myself really. No time to ride. No time to sleep. No time to make myself feel good. Nope, I have work, and that's about it. Yes, I do have the fiance, and she is wonderful, but she realizes that I haven't had any time for myself lately, or for awhile, and everyone needs a little don't we? Indeed we do.

I did get a good drunk on this past weekend though. After a really rough week of work, as mentioned in above paragraphs, I went out with the fiance, and some of our friends on Friday night. First thing I did, order the 22 ounce beer, and please make that a Franziskaner please. Next on the list of beers to drink, one Duvel please. Sure the Duvel was not a large beer, but it is Belgian, and it does pack a wallop. High alcohol content of course. 3rd beer, Allagash White, now I'm back at the 22 ounce level. 4th beer, more Allagash White, hey it was sort of hot outside, and wheat beer on a summer night with good friends and good food goes down easy. On the drive home, a question was posed as to whether or not we should get more beer at the local grocery store. Indeed we should, and indeed we did. But lo and behold, instead of beer, what did the fiance and I spy in the cooler and the Kroger? $4.99/bottle champagne. We did what any responsible people of our ilk would do. We bought 2 bottles, and brought them home. Popped the "corks" (more on that later), put on some good music, and laid on the couch chatting and drinking really bad champagne, or hangovers in a bottle if you prefer. I am glad to say that I finished my bottle, and was thoroughly thrashed. Bed came hard and fast shortly thereafter. Luckily, or unluckily, when I get that slammered, I normally wake up several times during the night. This time, it was lucky, because after "going to sleep" for a few hours, I woke up around 3 in the morning, with a dry mouth, and an already large headache. I needed to take action to avoid the really bad hangover. I went into the kitchen, stood at the sink, and drank water for a good 20 minutes, and then took a handful (4-5 maybe?) of extra strength painkiller (Tylenol type), and then laid back down. This middle of the night interlude did work wonders, as I woke up on Saturday morning, and was relatively pain free. Yeah, the head hurt a little, but nothing major really. Not enough to keep me from logging a few hours on the bike. The stomach was still sort of queasy, but again, not enough to keep a good man down. Needless to say though, I won't be drinking anymore $4.99 bottles of champagne. Well, maybe, but not another whole bottle. Yikes! Can we say excessive? All, repeat after me, "Excessive..." But hey, I had a hard week, and well, I had a hard week (again I refer you to the top paragraphs of this rambling typography here). But alas, it is Sunday night, and now I'm staring down the barrel of another week of fun and excitement at the workplace. Again, I hate complaining and griping about my workplace, as I know for the vast majority of us, our workplaces suck, and we don't like them much, but mine is especially wretched. I'll try to write about something pleasant, but don't hold your breath.

This weekend was not a bust at all though. I got to ride twice (that's the same amount I've ridden in the last 2 weeks all together), and the weather was decent. I even got to ride bikes with the fiance for a short while this afternoon, which was good. She's coming along nicely, and I think if she keeps at it, I'm probably going to have to purchase her a better bike somewhere in the near future. More couples riding next weekend I think though. It was fun, and for me, it was a good way to cool down after my own solo training ride I took in the morning for a couple of hours. All good stuff. Oh, and the Vuelta started this weekend as well. More on that race as it progresses. I wonder if another doper will win this year? Heras won last year, and was later busted for EPO. What does the race hold for this year me wonders?

3 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you know that heavy drinkers shouldn't take tylenol, as the combination damages the liver? Not that the 78oz of beer and the champagne didn't do the trick, but jeezlouize - that's a lot of booze, man. get a new job, you're killing yourself.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger My Two Cents said...

Yeah, get a new job or a new liver. Has Ernesto touched down yet? Maybe it will destroy your place of business!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger giantcu92 said...

Ernesto went to the south and east of us really, so no luck there as far as wiping out the workplace. Maybe next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home