13 August 2006

I ask this...

I have a question.

If you are a good Christian, you undoubtedly believe in God. Right? In order to believe in God, you sort of have to have a blind faith that there is a God, because let's face it, there is no irrefutable evidence that says that there is a God out there. Go ahead. Pull up all of the so-called miracles over the course of recorded history, and hell, most of those can be discounted by basic science, and have been over the years. But for most believers, and for most people, they just believe, because they "know" that there is something out there, yet, they have no proof. Maybe because my mind is more analytical than anything else, I need some proof in order for me to believe that things like God are out there indeed. And yet, once upon a time, I believe wholeheartedly. Do I anymore? This I'm still not really sure of, I'm batting it back and forth. Have been for the last bunch of years actually. Don't know what camp I'm falling into just yet.

Here's my question though. If good Christian folk believe in the Lord God; do they also believe in Santa Claus?

Let's look at the facts.

God. Nothing there. No proof. Nothing, nadda, zippo, zilch. Now, I can't say the same thing about Jesus, because we know from historical records that he actually lived and walked the Earth back in the day. Was he the son of God? Or was he just someone who thought he was the son of God? These days, when someone proclaims themself a messiah, or possible son of God, we call them crazy. Could Jesus be a crazy man ala David Koresh (except a lot more kind)?

Anyway, and then we have Santa Claus. Back in the day when you were a kid, there was proof Santa had been around. The cookies were eaten. The presents were there. The corn for the reindeer was gone. Hell, every year NORAD tracks the chubby fat man in a red suit and sleigh across the world as he makes his run to drop off presents for the boys and girls around the world. Now, I know that Santa Claus doesn't exist, because I caught my parents in the act when I was a young kid laying out the presents when I was about 5 years old. No big deal. I was still getting some good stuff at Christmas, no hard, no foul in my book, but I'm thinking that not everyone caught their parents in the act; so how do they know that Santa doesn't exist? Maybe, it's just their lack of faith that makes Santa not exist.

If it is blind faith that God exists; why are you looked at like a crazy person if you say you believe in Santa Claus? Or the Easter Bunny for that matter? Tooth Fairy? And so on and so forth. At least all of the mythical characters from our childhoods left "proof" that they had been there. Hidden Easter eggs from the Easter Bunny. Spare change from the Tooth Fairy.

Just some random thoughts that I have been having here.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger BiblioTECHa said...

I believe in Santa.

And the possiblity for a tasty fat-alternative.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger giantcu92 said...

I like bike rides.

I hate coffee.

So you know which one I prefer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home