10 April 2006

End of an era...

Today, was indeed, the end of an era. For 17 years (count 'em, 17) I have been wearing a retainer on the lower front section of my grill. I had it placed into my mouth at age 15, and now, I'm 32. Some of you noticed it in an earlier post I put up here about busting my teeth out and having a snaggle tooth. Today, I had it removed, finally. It's gone. And let me tell you, it's weird to feel my actual teeth once again, because as mentioned, for years, there was a bar across the back of the bottom row of front teeth. Me being me, I had them let me keep the retainer for a little keepsake (pictures included here of course). It's a whole new experience for me. Having something inside of your head for over half of your life, it's weird that it's gone now. I might have withdrawal symptoms from not having it there. OK, I won't have that, but, it is still funky. That retainer was the last vestige of a prior dental saga that started from the time I was in 6th grade, and busted out my 2 front teeth, to recently, when I started going back to the dentist again this year. It also represents the torture devices known as braces that a lot of kids had when they were younger. I'm glad that thing is gone. Don't know why I waited this long for them to remove it. Oh well. Good riddance lower retainer. I won't miss you. And now, I just have one more thing to do, get some fillings in another couple of weeks, and the dental work will be done, at least for another 6 months. I'll keep a good schedule this time. I promise. 2 cleanings per year, whether I need it or not.

Also this weekend, there was this bike race we like to call Paris-Roubaix, also known as, The Hell of the North, and also known as, The Queen of the Classics. This one had all of the drama that happens with a good Paris-Roubaix. There were many flat tires, and of course severe mechanical difficulties (George Hincapie's broken steerer tube of course), and a stoppage of the race at a level crossing (also known as a railroad crossing for us Americans), and of course, at the end, a deserving winner in Fabian Cancellara. I don't want to re-hash the entire race, but let's just say it was a knock down drag down fight. The main selection coming in the Forest of Arenberg of course, and the selection made by none other than Tommy Boonen showing his strength once again, and the World Championship stripes in good fashion. He's done the World Champion's jersey proud so far this year. Now if we can see him take the Green jersey in le Tour, that would be sweet. Anyway, he drew out the selection with his attacking in Arenberg, and from there, it was just a beat down. Boonen lost his legs somewhere along the way, and Cancellara was able to attack and ride away solo to the finish in the velodrome in Roubaix. It was a hell of a race to watch that's for sure. Good to the last drop. Of course, controversy about the stopping of some of the riders at the railroad crossing, when some were let through before the train came through, and some folks (PVP, Hoste, Gusev) were disqualified for going across the tracks. I'm not sure how long it is going to take to sort that all out after all of the appeals are done and so on and so forth. We'll see how that all shakes loose in the next couple of days. Knowing the UCI, they aren't going to back down on the DSQs, and the finish will stay as it is. Also this year though, I did have my first Paris-Roubaix frites and beer party. Smashing success I might add. Good Belgian style frites, and good Belgian style beer was had by all. More of that next year of course. Oh, and yes, I did serve mayo with my frites. I don't think anyone complained. Next weekend I think it is the Amstel Gold race. Maybe the Dutch can win something this weekend. Finally.

2 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom- love the retainer bit. It is showing me only what I have to come at the age of 42!

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I had the same bar behind my bottom front teeth for a far-less-painful 3 years in grade school. You'll be running your tongue over the newly bare teeth and feeling like something's missing for at least a month, trust me.

[They'll also be finding orthodontic cement between your teeth for the next 17 years, but they never mention that part.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home