01 November 2005

Farewell my friends...

This evening was a sad night indeed. It appears that the rumors are true, and Danielle Staskal and Phil Wikoff are really heading off to Austin Texas. What the hell I say? These are good people my friends, very good people, and well, we should have them hanging around here more than less, but hey, jobs call, and Danielle is answering. I can't blame her for that. Phil is going with, and I can't blame him for that. Frankly, they are just 2 good people who should spend more time in Chapel Hill, but I ain't gonna be stingy. I'll let them go, and spread themselves around the country a little more. It's all good. The more people that know these 2, the better. Yeah, you could say that this is a "tribute" of some sort. Not to be one that is all mushy and shit, but I'll miss those 2, that's for sure. They're just good people, and really and truly, that's hard to come by in this world.

I think that I met Danielle first, no doubt about that. Being a frequenter of the local cycling scene in Chapel Hill, NC, she was a regular just about from the time that I moved into town. OK, maybe she came a couple of years later, but I always sort of knew her. Phil came onto the scene for me about 2003 when we were both cat 3 racers trying to win some races, make some money, and have a good time. I'll admit it, when I first met Danielle, I thought she was hot. Take a look at her sometime, you'll see what I mean, but not only hot, but smart, and just damn nice. Phil when I first met him, I thought he was a fred. Yes, it's true. He didn't know how to handle his bike too well, and raced like a cat 5 in a cat 1 body. Time changed all of this of course, and Phil became a very good bike racer, and a good friend over time, and Danielle, well, let's face facts here, she's still hot, but she's also in love with the Phil-meister, and I don't see how this is a bad thing. They seem to compliment one another, and that's always good, and well, they just seem to get along well, and in this day, that's kind of a rare quality. It is just not something that comes around all that often, so it's something that folks seem to gravitate to. I'm certain, damn certain that once in Austin, they will flourish. They'll find some new friends, and meet new people, and have extraordinary times, but I hope that they never forget the folks back in NC. I', fairly certain that they won't, and that's a good thing. They'll be back, or they'll at least come to visit on occasion. And that's what I expect.

I mean, they are moving to Texas, Austin at least. From what I've heard from the SO and other folks that have lived there, if you're a young professional, and sort of hip, and fun, well, Austin is the place that you really want to be. Good choice Danielle. I hear it's a kind of liberal funky town, and hey, that's pretty kick ass. It's like Carrboro, only bigger. I'm sure that they'll do fine there. They're both pretty damn smart. I just hope that they don't forget the little people later on down the line so that I can have somewhere warm and sunny to go and train in the wintertime for racing. I mean, hey, I did at least host their last party in town. Which, I might add, was a good time. All of the regular suspects were there, and if you weren't there, what the hell were you thinking? First of all, it's Halloween in Chapel Hill, at least come for that. Second of all, this is their last night in town. The last night I spent in Orono Maine, well, I got drunk with friends, went skinny dipping, ran around town naked for a few minutes, sat on the bench in the public park (naked of course), went hot tubbing with naked women friends of mine, drank champagne at the Black Bear on the U-Maine campus, and the finally passed out around 3 in the morning. This might not sound late, but bear in mind that the festivities started at 2 in the afternoon. That's a lot of drinking my friends. And damn, this party only started around 7PM or so this evening, and it's now only 1 in the morning, and well, most everyone has been gone for about an hour or so. My point. If you didn't come to this party, and were invited, you suck. Well, if you had a good excuse, I can let it slide (kids, work, other commitments), but if you just skipped it, well, you missed out suckas!!!

The attendance list was diverse. There were science people, engineering people (OK, that's just me), cycling people (that's me as well), and just friends and confidants. Many of the folks that were at the party are some people that I haven't seen in awhile, and frankly, it was just good to see them, share a beer, and shoot the shit. I mean really, at 32 years old, that's what parties are supposed to be like. Gone are the days of serious drinking binges and booze festivals of the youth (except when required), and even then, for me, those things were rare. Straight up, this was just a good time.

So in closing Phil and Danielle, you guys are the best. 2 people sailing into life's sunset (yes, cheesy, but true) with a bright future ahead of you, and of course the 2 of you to be together. It's an exciting time, and I can only hope for good luck for you in whatever endeavors that the 2 of you encounter together, and I'm sure that our paths will cross again in the future. Good luck, good night, and much love.

2 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, Have you been BUI (blogging under the influence)?

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger giantcu92 said...

Yeah, of course. Why do you ask?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home