04 October 2005

I am now a man of parties...

I am now a man of parties. I swear, this weekend was a record for me. I got invited to 3 different parties, unfortunately I was only able to attend to 2 of them. Sorry Steve-O et all that was at Steve-O’s house on Saturday night. I got a little too drunk at Doug’s party, and next thing I knew, it was damn near 11 o’ clock and time to hit the rack. Yes, it’s true, I’m getting old. I can’t stay out as long and as hard I used to be able to do, like last year. I fell out of training when I moved out of Greensboro, because I no longer had the bad influence of one Chad Gibson, and one Jeremy McDaniel. They were pretty well famous for calling me up around 10 or so in the evening on say like a Wednesday evening, and making me go out and get beers with them. OK, so it’s not like they were pulling my arm or anything, but damn, they made me do it. I swear. Then there was the night in December of double Tom Collins’, Jeremy leaving me at a gay bar by myself, walking home, kicking in of doors, Chad passing out in the back of my car, and so on. That’s a story for another time I’m afraid. But yeah, I can’t party like I used to that’s for sure. But when I am able to get my party on, it’s on like popcorn my friends. Sort of like how it’s going to be at Halloween again this year. Oh yeah, party on a Friday night, it’s going down. I have a damn busy October looking at my schedule as it is. Party on October 28th, Panthers game on the 30th, and party #2 of the week on the 31st. This could be an all time blow out week. We’ll see.

Yes, so last night was my roommate’s birthday party/cookout, same night was Steve-O’s party, and then this afternoon it was Josh’s birthday. What is it with people being born around this time of the year? Oh yeah, it’s October, and what are people doing in the dead of winter? Getting it on, and hence the reason why there seems to be a lot of Birthdays around this time of the year. I swear that’s what it’s all about. How could it not be? What else are you going to do in January? Especially if you’re from way up North like I am (Maine in the house represent). The nights are long and cold, you have your significant other around you curled up next to you, well, hell, it’s only natural. Coincidentally, back in the old days, this is why bundling bags never worked so well. Bundling bags were the pre-cursors to sleeping bags, except when a young man was courting a young woman, a lot of times when the men and women were working during the day, and even evening hours, they didn’t have a chance to talk or get to know one another, and they would be allowed to sleep in the same bed with one another, as long as one of them was sewn into a bag so that they couldn’t get out. Needless to say, the bags came open a lot more often than not, because let’s face it, human nature is a lot damn stronger than thread right? That was your Cliff Claven moment of the entry for you there. Don’t let me hear you say you never got any good information from this damn blog. OK? OK. Going back to the parties though. Cookouts both of course, mostly because damn the weather is nice these days. I love this time of the year in the South. So nice. Doug’s was at his business partner’s house, and Josh’s was at, well, Josh’s house. Needless to say, because of these cookouts, I’ve had more than my fair share of red meat for this weekend. Steaks on Friday night at Outback, burgers last night at Doug’s party, and another burger today at Josh’s. There is just something about cookouts that makes me want to eat burgers. I mean other than steak what else is there to eat at a cookout? Chicken? Are you kidding me? I love chicken, but hell, grills were made for beef I think. Burgers, steak, ribs, and so on. The best stuff coming off of a grill is most definitely beef, even if mad cow disease is going to get me, I’m going down swinging. I used to have this fear of mad cow disease, but damn, what do I have to really worry about? It probably won’t get me for another 10 years at least. I guess I can just live my life until then in blissful unawareness of what these meat products are probably doing to me. When applicable though, I do try to eat the good meat, meaning organic, hormone free stuff. I somehow feel better at least inside of myself, when I’m doing that. It’s definitely not psychological, as there are benefits to not eating hormone laced products from weird agribusiness from across the country. Yes, I did read Fast Food Nation, as just about everyone else should. Just for the shock value of the information that he digs up and throws out at you. It’s amazing what goes on out there in the world of the agribusiness guys. The quaint picture of the old school farmer tending his fields, and his cattle are long over (unless you buy from small organic local farmers who are still like that). It’s too bad. It’s become huge business, kind of like everything else for the most part.

For the rest of this week, I see a lot of work going on, a lot of riding, and well, did I mention a lot of work? Yeah, it’s going to be one of those weeks again. I can feel it coming now. I hope to avoid the wave crashing down on my head though, but we’ll have to wait and see how that all turns out. I did get some decent riding in this past weekend though. Saturday and Sunday, 2.5 hours each day, not too bad, about 90+ miles for the weekend. When you’ve not been riding as much as I’ve not been riding, this is considered a good weekend. Which is kind of funny because not too long ago, I would go out and ride for 2.5 hours BEFORE the group ride on Saturday, then do the group ride, and then ride some more. Those days are probably coming again, but not until November when I really have to start laying down the mileage. Until then it’s heart rate monitor free riding for this kid, just to get the love back for it. It’s coming back fast I tell you. The love, the fitness will come later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home