11 June 2007

I'm kind of amazed...

Holy sheep shit Batman...

Are you serious? The Creation Museum?

Now, as I was raised Catholic, I've read the Bible a few times here and there, and had to attend A LOT of cathecism classes from oh, kindergarten through to my junior year of high school (first communion, first confession, and of course confirmation), and never, never in my time in all of those classes did the crazy nuns try to actually subvert science. Maybe Catholics are a little more progressive, and have been around a little bit longer that other Christian groups, but with all of the overwhelming evidence available that refutes that the Earth is only 6000 years old people still believe in this crap? Un-freakin'-believable I say. Simply astonishing.

Now, this photo essay and write up is not my own, but I did find it out Drunkcyclist.com, and I thank the guys who went there, and suffered through this exhibit and put this post up on their website. I had heard about this place on NPR, and some other places, and laughed at it when listening to the stories, but alas, I never pictured it to be this bad. Dinosaurs with saddles. SADDLES!

I sit here writing this, feeling stunned. I especially like how at the start of the exhibit, they basically tell you to "check your brain" and just believe in the word of God and have faith. Silly people. Don't they simply realize that the Bible is not to be taken literally? I mean, it is a bunch of parables that tell stories, and instruct, but I don't believe that it was ever meant to be taken literally. Especially since we don't know what it said originally, or who actually wrote it down, you know, important things like that. I'm pretty sure that the translations over the years, got kicked around a bit, and that the words that were probably written originally in what? Aramaic and or Greek possibly had different meanings "back in the day" than they do now and all, but hey, don't let that get in the way. Use the old experiment of whispering a simple sentence into someone's ear, and then send it around a room of 20 people, and the sentence will have changed significantly before it reaches the other side of the room. Now, take a book, re-write it about a million times, leave out some gospels that don't fit into what "you" think is right, and then translate a bunch more times, and what do you get? The message has been changed over time. Then you have the old testament, the new testament, the King James Bible, and so on and so forth (Book of Mormon anyone), and you have a seriously subverted and changed document.

Does that mean that the Bible is any less valuable? For those that believe, no, I believe it doesn't de-value its worth, but I think that people should read it, understand it, and apply it (if they choose) to their lives with a certain grain of salt. It really isn't the word of God. It's the word of God written by people who thought they were prophets (but were probably hallucinating from something instead), and then changed throughout the years. Use it for guidance, but I don't think you should take it literally, because if you do, you open up yourself for some serious fucking disappointment.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home